Thursday, March 22, 2012

Blog Post #8

Richard MillerThis Is How We Dream by Richard Miller
Richard Miller holds the position as an English professor at Rutgers Schools of Arts and Sciences.Miller has a passion for books. With his expression, he says that communication is not the same as it use to be. In a two-part video, he discusses how writing with computers will impact one's culture and the two changes, which are incremental and fundamental.
In the first incremental change of the video, Miller talks about where people are working as of now. He states that people no longer do work in libraries, or writing with paper and pencil, but our laptops. As I begin to think about the statement, I begin to think to myself when was the last time I went to a library to do an assignment before this week. The last time i went to a library was when I went to check on two books I wanted to check out. I have not been to a library recently to do an assignment. With the usage of my personal laptop, my chances of going to a library to do assignments have slimmed down. My work space is in the comfort of my room at parents' house. Having a personal laptop makes everything I need accessible.
In the second incremental change of the video, he points out that people are able to combine things when using networking technology. Using pictures and videos with text makes learning more engaging and hands-on. The example Miller used with this change was Martin Luther King, Jr.. With King's information, King was able to find information on the internet as well as information that was around the campus.
Miller's definition of fundamental change is something that makes it possible. He believes that the main focus should be "how we work" instead of  "where we work".I never understood the difference of the two until  I watched the video.

Carly Pugh Blog Post # 12
Carly Pugh PictureShe is a former EDM310 student at the University of South Alabama. She has done an outstanding job on putting Dr.Miller's examples and advice to a great extent. She created a playlist project that requires students to make a playlist with a limit of 10 YouTube videos. This is a great assignment to become a better a multimedia writer and to become better with the usage of multimedia tools, which is how Miller defines as collaborative learning. She believes that videos is the best way to get to interested in the assignments. I believe  that if you can be visually creative, then more information can be learned rather than just doing a writing assignment. In the Six Questions For Everyday video, she shares some questions that were just amazing to me. Some of the questions were inspirational to remember as a future teacher and as an individual.

Chipper Series
The chipper series was interesting because I had laughed throughout the series. In the series, Chipper is a student that thinks that she can get by just to get by. Even though she's looking for a easy way out, she expects herself to be the best of everyone. You have to work very hard to become the best of everyone. The EDM310 For Dummies video was my favorite video for this assignment because I was overwhelmed after the first couple of weeks because I realized that I really needed to have a timed scheduled to make sure I don't fall to far behind, which I intend to do sometimes.

BrainstormAs I began to brainstorm on some ideas on how to create a video,  I began to think about how I felt when I walked into EDM310 on day one, and the impact that EDM310 put on me as an individual and as a future teacher after taking the course. EDM310 has empowered me to learn things I never knew about such as blogger. Blogger is the best way to make a blog, and i will use it us a reference when it time for me start teaching.  I love going to my blog to see what people across the world and classmates say about my work. I love to blog. When i came into EDM310, I l was thinking to myself  "what have i gotten myself into?" Rumors were told to me that  EDM310 is a nightmare class. I believe that at first, I was getting freaked out about the class because of  the rumor. But now, I can say that EDM310 has made me a better learner and individual. EDM310 gives me the knowledge to express my feelings on the assignments.I love to express how I feel.

Learn\

Learn To Change, Change To Learn
In this video, there a number of successful individuals in the field of education that discussed the need of change in classrooms, and there were valid points made that were amazing to me. One point that hooked me was "U.S. Department of Commerce, which ranked 55 industry sectors by their level of IT intensiveness. Education was ranked at 55, which is the lowest under coal mining." This statement tells us that it's time for major adjustments in classrooms.

Scavenger 2.0
When  I looked at the introductory video on Discoveryeducation.com, I was amazed.
Edmodo Logo
Education's Social
Network
The first tool I was assigned to look for was a tool similar to Facebook and Twitter. I found the tool Edmodo,which can be very accessible for parents and teachers, and is easy to sign-up for. This site is similar to Facebook, but isn't as busy as Facebook, which will the give the students time to be more focused. Teachers can make a wide variety of assignments, such as quizzes. They can also keep up with grades of their students on the assignments completed through Edmodo. This tool will be added to my PLN because this tool can be used in many of ways in my future.


Animoto LogoNext, I had to chose a video tool. I chose Animoto. This video tool is free to sign-up for, which is always a plus. The disadvanteage of this video tool is that you can only make a 30 second video for free. If you want the full version, you have to pay about  from $5.00 to $39.00.








Poll Everywhere LogoThe last thing I had to hunt for was a tool where I could come up with a poll that can used anytime and anywhere. I chose Polls Everywhere. I found that this tool is amazing. Its easy to use, too. You can access these polls from any electronic device that has internet connection. This tool can be used for educators and for your personal use.







My Poll

2 comments:

  1. "With his expression, he says that communication is not the same as it use to be." Why include "With his expression" in this sentence? I do not know what you mean by that phrase. Used not use.

    "...two changes, which are incremental and fundamental." Two types of changes.

    "The last time i went to a library..." Capitalize I.

    "With King's information, King was able to find information on the internet as well as information that was around the campus." I think you mean Miller was able to find information. Not King.

    "She has done an outstanding job on putting Dr.Miller's examples and advice to a great extent." Awkward. This is better: She has done an outstanding job in using Dr.Miller's techniques.

    "...a better a multimedia writer..." Leave out the second a.

    "...which is how Miller defines as collaborative learning." two comments 1) That is not what Miller means by collaborative learning. In your sentence as written you should omit as. The most important point is that the entire clause is incorrect.

    "The chipper series was interesting because I had laughed throughout the series." 1) capitalize Chipper Series. 2) Omit had before laughed.

    "Even though she's looking for a easy way out, she expects herself to be the best of everyone. " I am not sure she expects to be the best. She hopes she can do it without working.

    "...and the impact that EDM310 put on me..." It would be much better to write: how EDM310 impacted me...

    "...and i will use it..." and just three sentence later "When i came into EDM310, I l was..." Capitalize both little is and omit one capitalized I (or it may be an l) before the word was.

    "Rumors were told to me that EDM310 is a nightmare class." Since you use were after Rumors you must use was after EDM310.

    "In this video, there a number of successful individuals..." the word are is missing after there.

    "...need of change..." need for change, not of.

    Your writing needs a lot of work. I am sending you a separate email concerning this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Dr. Strange has addressed the problems with your writing, so I won't bother discussing those again. My favorite assignment this week was reading Carly's blog post. I could feel the enthusiasm she wrote with when I was reading her post. I also enjoyed watching the Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies again. However, I didn't enjoy the Scavenger Hunt being limited to that one website. I liked the Scavenger Hunt in general, but because it was limited to that one website, many of us got the same exact answers. Like you, I picked edmodo and Poll Everywhere, but instead of animoto I chose Photo Peach. So I would have liked this activity more if the choices weren't so limited.

    ReplyDelete