Thursday, January 19, 2012

Blog Post 1

1. Hi, my name is LaWana Threatt. I live in Calvert,Al, which is about 45 minutes from the University of South Alabama. This semester, I have classes Monday through Thursday, and driving back forth put a toll on me. I take this as a disadvantage because of the fact I have to drive long distance. My major is Early Childhood Education, but the College of Education as my major under Elementary Education because the College of Education will develop while I'm attending at South. I like to browse the web, be with family and friends, to meet new people, and to have fun. I could not ask for a better family because they are always for me, even through our ups and downs. Every once in awhile, we have family game night where we play scrabble, dominoes, and card games. We have fun the whole night through with laughter and with joking around, and that's why my family is the greatness. I entered into the College of Education because I love to be around kids. In my profession, I would like to own a childcare business. My passion is being around children because they just put a spark in me, and makes me smile. Whether it is at home or school, I do tasks and assignments the best with deadlines and instructions. I love to learn about the things I do not know about or the things I want to learn about.

2. At the beginning of Randy Pausch YouTube video on Time Management, he specifically outlines what he's going to talk about. The following topics are:
   1.How to set goals,
   2. How to avoid wasting time,
   3. How to deal with the boss, meaning how to deal with your advisors, from a non-academic viewpoint,
   4. How to be responsible with other people, and
   5. How to deal with the real problems, such as stress and procrastination.
After Randy makes his pointers known, he points out that the Americans  are very poor when it comes to dealing with time management as a commodity,and that we are extravagant when it comes to dealing with money as a commodity. Randy makes these points on Americans based on our culture. While lecturing,
Randy displays the following on a Smart Board:
 "Goals, Priorities, and Planning", which has the following questions:
    1. Why am I doing this? What is the goal?
    2. Why will I succeed?
    3. What happens if I chose not to do it?
    4. Doing things right versus doing the right things
    5. 100 things to do in my life
From these 5 points, he says that people don't know how and why goals are made, and that goals are made because people focus on doing that task right rather than doing than doing the right thing. I didn't understand the concept of it until I heard what Randy. Randy noted that doing things right is very dangerous to do, which I strongly agree. It is better to the right things because you are safer that way. Your time and your experiences are valuable because that's how employees know whether you are capable for a job position. When Randy said "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment",it seemed to mean the opposite for me until I thought about it for awhile.

Three pointers of Planning:
1. Failing to plan is planning to fail
2. Plan each day, each week, and each semester
3. You can always change your plan, but only once you have one!

To Do Lists
1. Break things down into small steps
2. Do the ugliest thing first

I do not know Randy Pausch, but he gives good pointers and advice on each of the topics in his video.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to EDM310. This is a test. This comment should be sent to your Gmail account and to edm310comments@gmail.com. Thanks for starting early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LaWana. I can't imagine driving 45 minutes to school each day. I should no longer complain about driving 20 minutes. I was also pleased to read about your family game nights! I love playing games as well. I think family game night is very important. It brings my family together without the distraction of the TV or computers. (We're working on the phones.)
    What is considered early childhood? I have heard people talk about it but I've never really asked. Is that more of a preschool level? Can you still teach with that degree?
    I enjoyed reading your first blog post! Great summary of the video as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Aunt Fern played Scrabble every Wednesday night for at least 40 years. I like it too.

    You will watch Randy Pausch's Last Lecture later this semester. It is a powerful and moving video!

    ReplyDelete